William Joseph Howell Attorney
I have been admitted to practice in California since 1976. During that time I have been a sole practitioner, primarily engaged in representing debtors in the United States Bankruptcy Court in the Central and Southern Districts of California.
Over the years I have successfully represented thousands of debtors in Chapter 13 and Chapter 7 proceedings.
How I Work
- I personally interview each prospective client and obtain all pertinent client information.
- Based on the client’s needs, desires and qualifications, I determine whether, when and under which chapter to file in the Bankruptcy Court. In doing so, I apply Bankruptcy law and procedure as well as Federal and State tax law, California non-judicial foreclosure law, debt collections law and other law as applicable.
- I oversee the preparation and filing of all petitions, schedules, Chapter 13 plans and other documents.
- I personally represent the debtor at all required trustee meetings and court hearings.
- I personally negotiate with secured creditors to reduce their claim to the market value of the secured property
- I personally determine the appropriate exemption scheme for the debtor’s assets.
- I personally prepare and file reaffirmation agreements and applications as needed.
- I personally prepare and file motions for avoidance of liens on household goods.
- By agreement with the debtor, I personally represent the debtor in dischargeability actions, judicial lien avoidances, relief from stay actions and any other adversary proceeding.
- I excel in the effective filing in Bankruptcy Court to avoid foreclosure, whether temporarily or to permanently reinstate defaulted mortgages.
- In hundreds of cases I have been able to help debtors successfully reinstate their mortgages through completion of their Chapter 13 Plan.
- In approximately 31 Chapter 7 cases, I have been able to procure Orders for the Sale Free and Clear of Liens of the debtor’s defaulted, exempt real property. In each situation, the debtor was able to sell the property, recover and retain the exempt proceeds.
- I maintain skill in obtaining the discharge of Federal and State taxes, and procure Abatement Letters from IRS and FTB for discharged taxes.
Areas of Practice
- Chapter 7
- Chapter 13
- California, 1976: My California State Bar Number (SBN) is 71275.
- U.S. Bankruptcy Court Central District of California
- U.S. Bankruptcy Court Southern District of California
- University of San Diego School of Law, San Diego, California
- English (Primary)